I ♥ COFC
Above: Amazon Fulfillment holds information session at the School of Business in September 2015 semester. After two successful recruitment visits, Amazon has named the College of Charleston a Tier 1 university partner for recruiting talent.
Redoubling Career-ready Resources at the School of Business
Like never before, the College of Charleston is recognizing that it must dramatically enhance its preparation and positioning of students to meaningfully launch their career path. The School of Business has embarked on an initiative to respond to this need by developing the Student Advancement Center. In collaboration with the College, business faculty, alumni, parents, friends, and donors, the Student Advancement Center (SAC) will build a portfolio of workshops and seminars, professional staff, resources, technology access, and an operating environment to prepare business majors and other professionally-minded students at the College to be “ready to work.”
Creating the SAC will require $1,000,000 in philanthropic funding, which will seed its initial establishment from 2015-2019. Goals include:
- Development of a multi-year framework of professional development opportunities for undergraduates
- Dramatically grow the number of employers that actively and regularly consider our students for internships, co-ops, and jobs upon graduation
Donor support to date has been strong, particularly from the Business School’s Board of Governors. To date, $623,000 in gifts and commitments have been received toward the $1 million goal. This early support has already enabled some notable outcomes in employers growing closer to the College. New and expanded relationships that are resulting in internship and job offers have been forged with companies such as Target, Amazon, IBM, ScanSource, BMW, George Weiss and Associates, and Michelin.
The School of Business is seeking to exceed the $1 million goal to establish the SAC before the close of the BOUNDLESS Campaign on June 30, 2016. For more information about the Center, how you can get involved with making it a reality, and a giving call-to-action that has been issued from College of Charleston parent Joey Kaempfer, please contact Colby Rankin (843.953.3633), School of Business Director of Development.
CLYDE ASKS PARENTS
Members of our Parent Advisory Council loved these recent CofC stories. We want to make sure you saw them too!
- Research stations open at Dixie Plantation
- CofC Theatre Professor is Accomplished Voice Actor
- Meet the College’s Globetrotting Dean
WHAT YOUR KIDS FORGET TO TELL YOU
The College of Charleston Cougar Call Center is looking for student employees to become Cougar Callers! At this on-campus job, students contact alumni, parents, and friends of the College to update them on current events and ask them for donations to support the College of Charleston Fund, Parents’ Fund, and other areas of campus.
Here are five great reasons why your student should apply today!
- Cougar Callers help make an impact at the College! As a Cougar Caller, your student will secure donations that go toward scholarships, faculty and staff retention, and ensuring CofC continues to thrive. The work that they do truly makes a difference.
- They connect with alumni, parents, and friends. Student callers are some of the most informed students on campus with events, opportunities and knowledge of Charleston. They get to connect with a variety of people, learn about CofC and its alumni, and thank donors for supporting the College.
- They will learn skills and build their resumé. At this job, students develop professional skills – including communication and negotiation skills – that can help them in their future careers.
- The Call Center has great pay and flexible scheduling. Callers earn $9/hour and are able to pick which shifts they want to work for the entire semester. Shift hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday from 5 – 9 PM, and Sunday and Wednesday from 7 – 9 PM.
- It’s easy to apply! Interested students should visit the Cougar Call Center page or email Danielle Atkins, the Assistant Director of the Cougar Call Center, at email@example.com to learn more and apply!
COFC UPCOMING EVENTS
There is always something happening on CofC campus for you and your student. Mark these events down on your calendar.
- February 6, 2016: Homecoming
- March 6-13, 2016: Spring Break
- Find academic calendars here
- April 30-May 1, 2016: A Charleston Affair
- May 6-7, 2016: Commencement
- Find all information about graduation weekend, tickets, times, here!
THE PARENTS FUND
The Parents’ Fund supports scholarships, networking opportunities, and exceptional faculty focused on your student’s success. For more information and to donate, visit the the Parents’ Fund webpage.